Friday 27 February 2015

A second book, Creative Writing Class and World Book Night

So I woke up last weekend with a story in my head. The trouble was it would not fit into my current novel. The story was swimming around in my head so much so I couldn't sleep. I got up and starting writing. 
I am writing my current novel in the first person, but I started writing this second one by giving each character their own chapter. I stared with just one character Adam. He is a widower with a 10 mth old baby girl Daisy. I then added another character Jennifer who is Adam's dead wives sister. Characters then began to develop linking all the cast together and the whole thing began to flow really easily. This book doesn't have as much humour as the other book I am working on. This one is more about relationships and how they affect not only the lives of the characters, but also those around them. One character "Tom" is selfish and self absorbed, but is totally oblivious to the wake he leaves behind him. 
I am pretty confident as to where each character will end up, but as usual I am having trouble with general description throughout the novel.
I can describe people until the cows come home! What I need to work on is descriptions of the surroundings so my readers can become totally absorbed in what is going on around the characters.
My first novel has slightly more description, but I am worried there is too much speech! I have been taking time to read more and gain inspiration and advice from the books I read. I am a keen reader of Milly Johnson, Jill Mansell, Katie Fforde and Lucy Diamond so who better to gain advice from? 
So with all this in mind I decided to book myself on a Creative Writing Course at my local Adult Education Centre. It is a 10 week course beginning in April. Fingers crossed my health behaves itself so I don't have to cancel or miss lectures. I am a bit apprehensive, but I am sure it will be fine and I will make friends. Will I need a new lunch box and pencil case? I hope so as stationery items are actually quite a weakness of mine. I think a new folder, notebook, pens (although I have a lovely one my hubby got me for Christmas) and possibly a spare folder, notebook.......

Other news is that I was chosen as a volunteer for World Book Night. My book is Assassins Apprentice by Robin Hobb. It is a fantasy novel and to be honest not really something I would usually read. I already have 13 people who would like to read this novel. They are people who would not usually read this type of genre.
I have 18 books altogether so the rest of them are going to be given out in the community. I am really looking forward to it as I love giving gifts to people and I love books so it's an ideal situation for me.
World Book Night is on the 23rd April 2015 so please look out for any events going on in your area.

Lastly thank you so much for all your lovely comments, retweets and shares of my last blog with guest Heidi Swain. It meant a lot to both of us that you all enjoyed our conversation and that you took the time to read it and comment.

Well that's all for now as I have to have a nap before work (my non writing job!) although I wish I could sit here in the sunshine and continue writing.

Bye for now.

Find me on Facebook at Mary's Writing Page on Twitter at @MaryLewisWriter and also now on Instagram MARYLOU4873 #MaryLewisWriter

More information on World Book Night 2015 can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment