Monday 2 March 2015

Monday, Monday

It's Monday again but at least the sun is shining. Over the weekend I bought the Easter eggs, but will they last until Easter? I still buy them although we no longer have children in the house. Well we have our child, but he is 21 soon. However you are never too old to have an Easter egg. I also sat and read some advice on writing that pointed out to me that I need to include much more description of what's going on around the characters. I have a lot of speech in both my books and people that know me know I never shut up! 
When I'm writing I feel like I'm adding too much information and potentially boring my readers. I guess when I start my creative writing course I will get help with this.  
So I'm going to be working on Book 1 today as I have some ideas for scenes between the two main characters. Book 1 has taken a turn in that I now write "scenes" to happen in the book, rather than a continuation of the story (if that makes sense). For example I knew that somewhere in the book my main character was going to go to her parents for the weekend, so I wrote that visit to slot in when I'm ready. It makes perfect sense to me and I guess as long as it all makes sense when I slot it altogether that's all that matters.

I am also very excited that soon I am going back to Books and the City (Simon and Schuster publishing house) to a special event where I shall be rubbing shoulders with the great Milly Johnson (Teashop on the corner), Jane Costello (Bridesmaids), Andy Jones (The Two of Us) and debut novelist Iona Grey (Letters to the Lost). Well I say rubbing shoulders I'll be standing overawed in the corner grinning like an idiot. 
I will also be catching up with friends I made at the writing class there last November, which will be lovely. We've all chatted on Facebook and Twitter so it will be great to meet again.

Also over the weekend I ordered the 50th Anniversary Edition of To Kill A Mockingbird. This book takes me right back to my school days when I was doing my GCSE'S. My year was the second to do GCSE'S so the teachers were still struggling to get it right! Now I know you think I can't possibly be that old, but I am!
It is a classic, which has obviously stood the test of time as I believe it is still in the syllabus now for students. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can snuggle up and immerse myself in the great Harper Lee's writing. I am also keen to read her sequel "Go Set a Watchman" although at the moment my "to be read" pile is huge, so I'll have to wait a while.

I hope you all have a great start to the week and thank you to all my new followers for liking me! 

Find me on Facebook Mary's Writing Page and on Twitter @MaryLewisWriter


                                                                                   
Check out the new updated picture above
and new guest author Heidi Swain!!!!


UPDATE

When I posted yesterday I jumped the gun a little. This morning I woke to the wonderful news that my good friend and guest blogger from a few weeks ago Heidi Swain has been added to the guest list of authors at the Books And The City Spring Blogger Event. I shall still be standing in the corner grinning and overawed only now I shall be so, so proud of Heidi and raising a glass of fizz in her direction. Well done sweetheart I am so, so happy for you.
(I am available to hold your drink and cake while you meet your public, although I cannot guarantee you will get it back!!) xx

2 comments:

  1. Ah Mary Mary Mary... I was just about to say you can't possibly be old enough to have a 21 yr old son, and then you go and spoil it all by saying you were in the 2nd year that did GCSEs - so was I! Rats!! And I did To Kill A Mockingbird, too!

    I am dying to go to the event, but am struggling with my conscience. Will I be a bad parent if I don't attend Son1's Parents' Evening, and can I trust The Husband to ask the right questions?

    But I cannot miss the BATC evening - Andy Jones will be there too!! I need to punch his arm for making me bawl so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah how lovely thank you for the compliment. I am 41 and turn 42 in August. I certainly have the grey hair which I think will need to be covered for my trip to London. I have a new dress too!

    I don't think you will be a bad parent for not going to your son's parents evening. If your hubby goes in your place then at least one parent is going. I used to be a teacher and it's far better that at least one parent does go along rather than none. Dad's used to tell me they enjoyed Parents Evening as they felt disconnected with their children's education as it is usually the Mum that deals with everything. Let him go and then they can have tea somewhere. You have my permission to come along to London!

    Yes Andy Jones needs to apologise to us both, but if he signs my book I'll let him get away with it! I blubbed quite badly, lots of tissues were used.

    I hope you do come it will be great to see you again. xx

    ReplyDelete