Tuesday 29 March 2016

The Great Book Survey!

I decided to put together a short book survey for friends to complete and so I had some lovely "booky" blogs for the next few weeks. I asked for volunteers on Facebook and sent the survey out to a few brave souls. I wanted to dig deep and see just what my friends like to read and if they had any little reading "guilty secrets" I should know about!

So first up is the amazing Vicki Bowles. Vicki self published her own novel My Unintended and is currently writing her next novel. We met a few years ago a a Creative Writing Masterclass held at Books and the City publishers. I basically plonked myself down next to her and she hasn't been able to get rid of me since!

Mary, Natalie and Vicki 



So Vicki first question is a fairly simple one names you go by and your *ahem* age...

Vicki Bowles / Vikbat / MUUUUUM*

Age: Very nearly 43**. What's that you say? A Kindle? For my birthday? What a FABULOUS Idea....

*has to be shouted v loud
** ok, ok, I know I don't act it.


What is your preferred genre of book?

Women's Fiction and Contemporary Romance, but it has to have a bit of a bite to it. You know, with lots of swearing and rudity. 

Who is your “go to author” when you want a relaxing read?

Jeez.... there's far too many... Jane Costello, Paige Toon (though I've only read a couple of hers so far but I LOVE them!), Mhairi MacFarlance, Lindsey Kelk... the list goes on and I know I've left loads out. But the Queen of All Fabulousness for me is the Goddess Jilly Cooper. That Rupert Campbell-Black is such a bad boy – I love him!

 How do you chose your books? Cover design, friends recommendations, book reviews etc?

All of the above

 Is there an author that you enjoy so much that you buy every one of their published novels? If so which author?

Jilly Cooper. She has such a way with words, and her descriptions are gorgeous. I can practically smell the wild garlic of Rutshire when I'm reading one of her books. And she's so naughty. Rupert Campbell-Black taught me everything I know!

Do you have a favourite classic book? Do you have a favourite children’s book?

My favourite children's book... actually can I have two please? From my own childhood I loved  'Heidi' by Johanna Spyri. I used to imagine myself living up on a mountain with all those flowers and goats around me. And eating all the cheese.

My other favourite children's book is Dinosaur Roar by Henrietta and Paul Stickland. I've read it with all my four kids, and I still enjoy it with my youngest, Zach. We put on really silly voices to match the dinosaurs. That's one book that will never ever make it to the charity shop.

As for classic books – does Heidi count? Otherwise it would be 1984 by George Orwell. He was amazingly ahead of his time. Actually I think he may be the inspiration for Doctor Who – I'm convinced he must have nipped ahead and seen the future. Which is a bit scary when you think about it...

Would you say you own more digital copies of books or paperbacks? Which format do you prefer?

Looking at my TBR piles (note the plural!) I'd say it's about 50/50. When I first got my Kindle I much preferred that, for storage, accessibility etc. But then I visited Simon & Schuster and my love for the physical book was rekindled (Ha – see what I did there?). I blame Sara-Jade Virtue for introducing loads of fabulous, gorgeous books, with beautiful covers.

 Although I do swear lots when I am reading a book at night, drop it and lose my place. But on the flip side, my Kindle has died, so I'm having to read my Kindle & Netgalley books on my phone. Technology is not infallible.

Finally which 10 books would you take to a desert island? You don’t have to include a survival guide!

Erm... Riders, Rivals, Polo by Jilly Cooper; River God and Warlock by Wilbur Smith; Out of This World: The Story of Muse by Mark Beaumont; Our Song by Dani Atkins; Watchers by Dean Koontz; It by Stephen King; and finally Castaway by Lucy Irvine.

But if I took a Kindle and a solar charger, I could take SOOOO many more....

(I actually read 5 books in 10 days on honeymoon in the Maldives. And yes I'm still married 18 years later.)


Great answers Vicki. I think we can take from most of your answers that you are a fan of "naughty" books! I love your desert island choices although if I took Our Song I think I would need lots of tissues too.

Thank you so much Vicki for taking part in my survey xxxx

 Find Vicki on her Blog, on Facebook and on Twitter







No comments:

Post a Comment