Monday 18 April 2016

Great Book Survey Part 4

This weeks guest is my friend Jenni Keer. I met Jenni via Twitter after we were both selected as New Writers for the Romantic Novelists Association. We clicked and due to a predictive text error where Jenni was supposed to type "See you soon" which came out as "Siam Son" we have our own little greeting! I thought she was greeting me with a mystical Eastern saying, but no it was a predictive text error.

Jenni is currently writing her first novel and hopes to be a published author soon. I will be of course updating everyone when that happens!

So first question Jenni, age (eekk!) and occupation:

Well let’s just say I feel about 60 and act about 17, so my real age is somewhere in the middle. Full time mum to 4 boys, carer for elderly mother and aspiring author.

What is your preferred genre of book?

My favourite genre depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a Rom Com (which is what I write) to cheer me up and make me believe in happy endings. Other times I want a challenge or something darker, like a thriller or a historical book.

Who is your "go to" author when you fancy a relaxing read?

Go to authors are Milly Johnson, Sophie Kinsella, Lee Child, Harlen Coben, Nicholas Sparkes. I know what to expect and know that I will enjoy the book.

How do you chose your books? Cover designs, friends recommendations, book reviews etc? 

Assuming we are talking about an author I may not have read before, I choose my books based on cover design initially - an excellent indicator of genre of the publisher has done it right. Friend’s recommendations IF I know they like the same things as me. Increasingly I will look at books promoted on social media, especially those promoted by people I respect or adverts that catch my eye. And, as we have just mentioned, I will go back to authors I like, especially when they bring something new out.

Is that an author that you enjoy so much, that you buy every book they publish? If so which author?

Authors I go back to (not necessary buy EVERY one - I’d be bankrupt!) are Milly Johnson, Sophie Kinsella (except the shopaholic series - could never get into that for some reason), Harlan Coben, L.M. Montgomery, Agatha Christie, Ellis Peters, Terry Pratchett, Nicholas Sparkes and I must mention Melissa Nathan - taken from us too soon. 

Sophie Kinsella is a favourite of mine too, but I know what you mean about the Shopaholic series. I've read a few, but the character of Becky just grates a bit. However her stand alone books are absolutely brilliant and The Undomestic Goddess & Can You Keep A Secret make me chuckle.

Do you have a favourite classic novel? Do you have a favourite children's novel?

Classic book probably Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca or Jane Eyre. (NOT Wuthering Heights - one of those instances where I really don’t get what the fuss is all about. Which is exactly how I feel about chocolate. Definitely in the minority though.)
Children’s book (some of which are classics) Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables (oh how I love Gilbert Blythe - possibly my first crush), Little Women, The Faraway Tree. But I must also mention the amazing Julia Donaldson (Room on the Broom, The Gruffalo, The Snail and the Whale). These are so clever and a joy to read out loud. You don't have to be a child to appreciate this genre - or perhaps I am still a child on the inside. There was no way I could narrow that down to just one. You should have seen the pre-edited list!

The Faraway Tree was my all time children's favourite as my Grandad used to read them to me. I can still see Moonface, Silky the Fairy and Mr Saucepan Man in my head and really want to ride the slippery slip from Moonface's house to the bottom of the tree!

Would you say you owned more digital copies of books or paperbacks? Which format do you prefer?

I do have a kindle (how could I hope to be an author and not?) but I still reach for paperbacks by preference. I don't like not being able to see the cover when I pick up what I am reading, and I do read in the bath - not a great idea with an ebook. However, the dictionary feature is really useful, as is the fact you can buy a book instantly. This has proved useful with bored children!

Finally what 10 books would you take to a desert island? You don't have to take a survival guide!

10 books is just impossible, so these really are the first ones that come into my head.
  • Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes
  • Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella - THE funniest book I have ever read.
  • Tell No One by Harlan Coben - the most gripping page turner EVER. He is a master at this. One chapter is never enough.
  • Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - ground breaking (well it was in my world)
  • Beating About the Bush by Linda Taylor - not only is it a great book, it was also written by my sister, so I saw a different side to this, and appreciated the work that had gone into it. 
  • Anything by Betty Neals - just for fun!
  • The Nanny by Melissa Nathan
  • Any Terry Pratchett
  • Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
  • Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen 
… arghh, I’ve run out! Nooooo, I need to take more. Can I have a bigger suitcase please? Or perhaps I can take ten Kindles and some solar panels, and fill them all up with books?

The books you have chosen are fantastic! In fact I could quite easily share a desert island with you. Can You Keep A Secret is one of my favourite books and makes me laugh out loud every time I read it, The Nanny is absolutely brilliant and Rebecca is one of my all time favourite books. 


Thank you so much Jenni for taking part in my survey. If you want to follow Jenni on her writing journey you can find her on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment