Sunday 3 April 2016

The Great Book Survey Part 2

So the first book survey was a success so here is part 2! It is really interesting to get a view into other people's "book lives". I am getting a good cross section of people wanting to take part, which is great as I thought it may just be women of my age contacting me - not there is anything wrong with that!

This week I am featuring Kevin Hanney. I met Kevin at my Creative Writing Class at the local Adult Education Centre and we bonded over pies and cleavage! Maybe I should explain. One of our first exercises was to create a story from cards given to us by our tutor. I ended up writing a short story about a Chief Inspector who had a wife with a magnificent bosom, who couldn't cook for toffee. They had been invited to a garden party where each wife was expected to bake a pie. His wives offering was of course below par and he schemes to swap it with one of the more bitchy wives pies. I read my story out to the little group and Kevin and I have been buddies ever since.



Kevin

Kevin has written a book called Do Unto Others, which I have had the great privilege of reading. It is set in the fast paced world of advertising and the characters are phenomenal. He is yet to find a publisher, but I am sure it will not be long, so look out for the title soon.

So Kevin firstly the basics, name, age (if you feel like disclosing) and occupation apart from fantastic writer!

Kevin Hanney, 57, Accountant


What is your preferred genre of book?

Crime Fiction, with strong characters. I don’t like wishy washy people or characters. So no vegan art lovers, who hug trees at the weekend.


Who is your “go to author” when you want a relaxing read?

Kate Rhodes. I met her last year on creative writing course.


How do you chose your books? Cover design, friends recommendations, book reviews etc?

Friends, Radio 2 Book Club reviews and Waterstone's staff reviews are sometimes useful.


 Is there an author that you enjoy so much that you buy every one of their published novels? If so which author?

Robert Galbraith, aka J K Rowling. Strong private detective, with an interesting personality and an artificial limb.


Do you have a favourite classic book? Do you have a favourite children’s book?

I don't have a favourite classic book, but my favourite children's book is Peace at Last by Jill Murphy. I used to read this to my son when he was 2 or 3.

Would you say you own more digital copies of books or paperbacks? Which format do you prefer?

I prefer hard copies to digital, as I prefer CDs and vinyl to downloads.

Finally which 10 books would you take to a desert island? You don’t have to include a survival guide.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
            
The Devil’s Alternative by Frederick Forsyth
             
Do Unto Others by Kevin Hanney
            
Monty Pythons Little Red Book
            
The History of West Ham United
             
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
              
A biography of Winston Churchill
              
Guinness Book of Records
              
Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

Emma by Jane Austen (I would use this to light a fire, as I had to read it at school)
             

Some great answers Kevin. I too used to read Jill Murphy's "Large Family" books to my son when he was younger. We still have all the books as they hold really nice memories for us.
As for using Emma by Jane Austen to light a fire. Tut, tut, but I totally understand how being forced to read a book at school can damage your view of that book for life. I had to read Thomas Hardy and although I enjoy some of his work, I can't read the Mayor of Casterbridge as I had to not only read it, but write endless essays on the thing too.
Reading is very much a personal thing. Classics and other titles should be recommended at school, but not forced upon people.

Thank you for some great titles. You introduced me to Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) and I have to say I really enjoyed the writing.

Good luck with your novel Kevin - Do Unto Others - and keep us posted.

Find Kevin on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment